Re: [IP] Attention Paradigm users

>I don't think telling someone the problems they experience are *silly*
>very helpful.....a good place to look at complaints is the MAUDE site
of the

I'm sorry...I wasn't referring to the reasons people are giving
here...but the reasons that were listed in the article on
diabetesnet.com (a site which I visit frequently).  Many of the
complaints are things that are either explained thoroughly by Minimed
(such as the time it takes to change batteries/losing basal rates) and
the user should be well-informed unless they truly aren't doing their
part, or is common sense.  Why would ANYONE connect/disconnect a
resovoir while it is connected, particularly after some problem?  Some
obviously are...but it is "silly" that they are.

>FDA....I also don't think that randomly choosing numbers and
percentages to
>try to make a point is logical unless you have proof that all pump
>receive complaints on 1% of their product then your statements are
>misleading....also, I don't think you have to try all of anything to
have a

As I stated, I wasn't attempting to defend MiniMed...merely giving
perspective to the matter.  Unrelated to pumps, I use video-editing
software from a company that has millions of users, literally.  They
have FAR more users than even the nearest competitor.  Yet, people come
to the support forums for their software and complain that the software
must be problematic because of all of the problems posted. They have
forgotten that while nearly every post in the SUPPORT forums (created
for the purpose of resolving problems) is a complaint...the number of
users complaining there relative to their entire user-base is rather

I don't know the actual percentages of problems of any company.  What
I'm suggesting is that you CANNOT look at the NUMBER of people
complaining (or not complaining) about a particular pump or company
without ALSO considering the total number of users in comparison to
others.  You will undoubtedly read far more complaints about Minimed
because they have far more users.  That doesn't NECESSARILY mean that
they have any more problems.  (Though, I completely understand that
they MAY.)

>valid opinion....I researched heavily before I choose the pump for my
>daughter, including talking to those with other pumps, and am
convinced I
>choose the pump that is best for her......it is important for people
to be
>able to post their experiences without being told they are *silly* or
>have proper *perspective* as these experiences help others in their
>decisions.....just because you have a product and have never had a
problem is
>great for you but does not negate another's experience in

I agree with you whole-heartedly.  But, without considering such
perspective, someone might be swayed away from buying the best pump for
their needs.  A good example is the whole water-proof argument.  Some
have argued that Animas is better because they say they are water-proof
whereas the Paradigm says "watertight".  The fact is, BOTH are "water-
proof" to the same practical degree, and the choice of terminology is
merely for the sake of advertising and/or legal concerns.  But, based
on the postings in I-P over the past couple of months, you would get
the impression that Animas is better than the Paradigm for "water-
proofness"...which just isn't true.

I, personally, do not care what brand any person buys, if it meets
their needs.  But, I'm trying to remind people to not base decisions
solely on the number or even types of complaints received in I-
P...because, as I said, you have to consider percentages of users in
that case.  (70+% of pump users on I-P use MiniMed pumps...that number
is not based on any geographical information, but I-P's own statistics.)

As is so commonly used on this list....YMMV!  :-)