[IP] Re: bolusing for high-protein meal

Sources I've seen have said anywhere from 40-60% of protein can
convert. It is probably highly individual. Some people don't see
any effect from protein at all.
I don't think it is taught any longer that 10% of dietary fat
converts to glucose (this does happen with stored fat in
starvation states). The theory that 10% of dietary fat converts
to glucose used to be found in earlier editions of Ellenberg and
Rifkin's Diabetes Mellitus (a very large, comprehensive text on
diabetes) but isn't in the most recent editions (I have the 5th
edition but there is a new 6th edition out.) The following
webpage (which discusses the breakdown of body fat for energy aka
ketones) also states that this doesn't happen (particularly, note
the last sentence - I'm assuming this applies to all fatty acids
regardless of source, ie dietary, stored). I know of a couple of
other sources that state the same though.
"Ketone bodies
An alternative method of utilising the acetyl CoA formed by
_-oxidation is via the synthesis and subsequent oxidation of
four-carbon units known collectively as ketone bodies. Acetyl CoA
is converted in the liver into acetoacetate (essentially two
acetyl groups covalently linked). Acetoacetate can be further
reduced to form _-hydroxybutyrate. These two compounds are
referred to as ketone bodies. Their synthesis occurs in the
liver. They diffuse from the liver into the circulation and are
used as fuels by several tissues. Heart muscle and renal cortex,
in particular, use acetoacetate in preference to glucose. In
contrast, glucose is the major fuel for the brain and
erythrocytes in a human on a balanced diet. The brain has the
capacity to adapt to the use of acetoacetate during starvation
(and in the metabolic disease diabetes mellitus). In starvation
of long standing, acetoacetate meets more than 70% of the energy
needs of the brain. This ability of the brain to adapt to the use
of acetoacetate is important because fatty acids cannot enter
neural tissue. Acetoacetate is regarded as a water soluble and
readily transported form of acetyl CoA. The efficiency (amount of
ATP produced) of oxidation of fatty acids directly or via
formation of ketone bodies is approximately the same - there is
no penalty to the body in converting acetyl CoA to this water
soluble form. ****It is important to be aware that there is no
mechanism in animals for the conversion of fatty acids to

Take care, Kerri
Join me in the Parents of Pumpers chat, Saturdays @ 6:30pm
Pacific/9:30pm Eastern in the Parents chatroom, Insulin Pumpers
website www.insulin-pumpers.org
"I've seen and met angels wearing the disguise of ordinary people
leading ordinary lives, filled with love, compassion,
forgiveness, and sacrifice." - Tracy Chapman [Heaven's Here on
Earth, 1994]

Ryan said:
You mentioned taking 60% of the protein to calculate for bolus.
I was
taught that 40% of protein converts to carbs, NOT 60%.  Perhaps
actually learned that 60% of the protein does NOT convert to
carbs, and
got it backwards?  Or, perhaps my educator mistaught.  But, I've
40% fairly reliably.  I always make sure I give that via a wave
however, and NOT a normal bolus, because the protein is delayed
into your system somewhat.  I tend to use about a 3.5 hour wave
for protein...though I haven't perfected it yet.  :-)

Also, I was taught that 10% of fat get converted to
that can take 8-10 hours, and is likely negligible except for
VERY high
fat foods (which we probably shouldn't be eating anyhow!  ;-)