[IP] Re: Joslin 25-Year Certificate

At 11:48 AM 11/7/02, Jan wrote:
>You need *proof* of your dx - but fill out the forms they send.

Yes, while this is true, the proof does not have to be certified
documentation.  When I was seeking my Certificate (after nearly 40 years of
diabetes) I was afraid that the doctor who diagnosed my sister and I was no
longer alive.  I had tried searching, and she tried contacting the hospital
where she was admitted on diagnosis, but both attempts turned up
nothing.  When I emailed the representative at Joslin, she told me that if
a few family members would write a letter specifying certain historical
events they associated with the time of your diagnosis, they would accept
those letters.  My sister and I got lucky, I did finally track down the
doctor who diagnosed us and he, even though he is in his late 80's and
retired now, wrote me an email and did up a very nice letter which he sent
to Joslin for us.  He was aware of the Certificate and Medal program and he
was very happy to help.  We now both have our Certificates.

dx'd 1963
pumping 2000