[IP] Re: Need some ideas

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas.  Someone suggested a diabetes
center here in Eugene but they don't take kids younger than 16.  One doc would have
liked to have taken Kristina but feared he didn't have the support that she deserved
when he wasn't available.  So we'll be going to Portland as soon as I can get an
appointment.  In the meantime, I've increased the amount of insulin she needs for high
blood sugars and she's choosen to eat as many "free" foods as she can.  Today she
took salad and carrots to school for lunch and even her sister, who does not have
diabetes, wanted to take salad and carrots for lunch.  LOL  Go figure!  We've also been
writing everything down very carefully, both of us.  She and I are a team and we take
care of her needs together.  When we're apart, she phones me at work to tell me what
her blood sugar is and to go over what she needs.  Close contact, keeping good
records, increasing some insulin, decreasing some carbs have all helped!  Over the last
week, she's had many lows (70's and 80's) and a lot of blood sugars within range.  She
still had one that was over 400 last night though so I know we're still having problems.
But it's good to see some improvement.  Thank you for your suggestions.  If you have
anymore ideas for me, I'd very much appreciate it.  I'm planning on doing a day time
basal check this Saturday since her blood sugars are better now!  YEH!  Thanks so

All the best,