[IP] Re: Joslin 25-Year Certificate

>>>Jan, I am interested in learning more about this Joslin certificate you
mentioned in a post. How do you qualify to get one? I have had IDDM for 31
years and would love to be recognized for my efforts in staying alive and
sane in spite of it! Kathy>>>

Joslin Diabetes Center awards a 25-year cetificate for, you guessed it, 25
years of IDDM. ;) They give a bronze medal (actually a small paperweight)
for 50 years IDDM. At one time they gave a silver medal for 25 yrs but you
had to go through all kinds of tests to prove no complications. Drs balked
at subjecting patients to unneeded tests for a medal. They dropped the medal
and now give a certificate for 25 years. See:
and request info.

For 50 years, you had/have to be warm and breathing. Joslin *tells* Eli
Lilly Co. and they give a sterling silver medallion on a s.s. chain
recognizing 50 years of insulin therapy. Your name is engraved on the back.
These medals can be seen on my picture trail of my BASH I had celebrating 50
years of LIFE and SURVIVAL - not of DM! ;)

You need *proof* of your dx - but fill out the forms they send.

BTW, when I reached 50 yrs I notified the newspaper of my BASH (Bawling,
Amazement, Sincerity, Humor) and they did a nice story. They asked if I go
to lots of these parties. Ummmmm, not a LOT of DMers reach 50 years and I
said I was the only one I knew who was weird enough to have a party like
that. Well, I guess I'm not the only weirdo, <teehee> as Thomas Beatson is
having a 60-yr. celebration for his dx anni in December. However, it will be
1/11/03 in Phoenix, AZ. I'm in South Bend and going. He'll tell you more
about it. (~_^)

I'm also invited to Rachel Cahill's (Missi's dtr) 50th anniversary but it's
going to be a Cure party - in about 44 years. ;)

"The key to longevity is to keep breathing"
~ Sophie Tucker