[IP] Re: IP] My first pump class

At 09:35 AM 11/6/02, you wrote:
>I went to my first pump class earlier this week in preparation for starting
>on the pump before the end of the year hopefully!  During the class I found
>one thing a little strange.  The CDE's would talk about changing your
>resevoir and insulin at the same time you change your infusion set.  Say you
>have anything but a Paradigm so your resevoir holds about 300 units of
>insulin.  If you change your infusion set every 3 days, and you use about 60
>units a day (probably will be TDD to start), then when you change out in 3
>days you'll still have about 80 units of insulin left in the resevoir.

Someone probably has already replied and I'm a little behind in my digests,
but I'll tell you what I do.  I change my cartridge/reservoir only once per
week.  I have a Disetronic H-Tron Plus, but I imagine you can do the same
with the MiniMed.  When I change out my set on the day I keep the same
cartridge in the pump, I disconnect from the set (I use QuickSets), pick a
spot, insert the new set, remove the needle and tubing, then reconnect to
the set with the original tubing still on the pump.  Then I prime the
cannula with about 1/2 unit to make sure it's filled.  I started doing it
this way when I was using the Tenders/Sils and Disetronic sent those sets
out with no tubing with half of them for this very reason.

dx'd 1963
pumping 2000