[IP] Humalog ingredients

>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:53:58 -0500
>From: Nancy Jennings <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Humalog Ingredients - phenol

>Any chemist members?

I am a working industrial chemist with a PhD in polymer chemistry.

>I am now awaiting a return call so I can obtain more detailed
>information.  I understand this may take 4 or 5 business days.  I did a
>net search for M-cresol and feel a bit frightened with what I
>found...eg. M-cresol is used in herbicides.

Yes and nicotine is a major pesticide.  Because meta-cresol is used to kill
weeds you are concerned because?

>I would very much appreciate a chemist's direction to a reliable web
>source or text that would tell me, in as plain language as possible,
>what all these ingredients are.

I would recommend "The Merck Index" which list most common chemicals gives a
brief description of physical properties and where the chemical is used.  It
may give some health data (LD50 which are doses that kill 50% of a test

I don't know how to say this without appearing arrogant, so I just will.
Why do you need this information?  Are you currently on Humalog and have
symptoms?  Reading dangers of chemicals requires some experience.  An MSDS
(material safety data sheet) for ethanol would have many people in biohazard
suits with breathing systems.  But it turns out that ethanol is the version
of alcohol that many humans drink regularly (and occasionally die directly
or indirectly from drinking).  A naive reader will find much to be paranoid
about.  If you really want to enter the twilight zone you may want to see if
a local university library has RTECs - Registry of the Toxic Effects of
Chemicals.  It lists all kinds of laboratory testing for effects of
chemicals in a very dense, fairly unfriendly form, but guaranteed to give
you sleepless nights if you are looking for something else to worry about.

If you can form your concerns a little more specifically I would be happy to
try to help.