Re: [IP] Heredity and autoimmune illnesses

Sue:
      From what I understand, what my daughter inherited was a predisposition
to autoimmune illnesses, since I have had hypothyroidism for 30+ years. One
night in a parents chat room, we discovered that 7 of 12 moms all had
hypothyroidism. Even without  diabetes , it's not uncommon to see multiple
family members with autoimmune conditions.
      The renowned Barbara Davis Center in Denver was started by Barbara &
Marvin Davis after their daughter Dana was dx'd with diabetes. I recently
read an article about Nancy Davis' foundation for multiple sclerosis
research, from which she suffers......and she too is Barbara & Marvin Davis'
daughter.....
     The viral infection your doctor mentioned is believed to be the
"triggering & final" blow, but the process that led to the beta cells in the
pancreas being attacked began well before that final "insult" to the body.
Regards
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)