Re: [IP] Site Change

> Why do some folks leave the old site in place awhile after a new
> site is inserted? I'm new and have been removing the old one at the
> same time. Shirley email @ redacted

Insulin that is injected or infused take time to be absorbed. Regular
peaks in  2-3 hours and is fully absorbed in about 5-7 hours. Humalog
and Novolog/NovoRapid peak in 1-1 1/2 hours and take 3-5 hours to be
completely absorbed. Two things happen when you remove an infusion

First, you break the seal between the outside world and the
insulin waiting to be absorbed. When the set is removed,
as with any wound, it bleeds (not blood, usually) body fluid until the
wound closes. During this time insulin may leak out. I've actually
seen a bead of fluid develop at my daughter's infusion sites when the
sets are removed. She suffered from mysterious highs on set change
days until she started leaving the old sets in for a few hours.

Second, you may irritate or damage the tissue by withdrawing the
infusion set. While this doesn't always happen and won't necessarily
compromise absorbtion, dead or damaged tissue does not absorb insulin

We have found that leaving the old site in place for

2 hours -- Humalog, Novolog/NovoRapid
4 hours -- Regular insulins

seems to eliminate bg spikes after site changes.