[IP] Type I or II Oral Meds or Insulin

Your story sounds so similar to mine.  I too had the same questions you had when I was diagnosed in March of this year.  I went in for a blood test at the urging of my sister who thought there must be something wrong with me, even though all the doctors I had been seeing for various other ailments (in hindsight all red flags and symptoms of Diabetes) said, "you're young and healthy" - nobody ever bothered to check my blood.  My fasting BG was 328 and my first A1C was also 13.7 like yours.  I had so little body fat, I'd stopped having periods.  The first doctor I went to told me the ketones in my urine were one of the determining factors as to being Type 1 and started me on insulin immediately.  Because I was 37, the CDE said I was really what they're now calling a "Type 1 1/2," which I've also read about in the "Pocket Pancreas."  Older than most Type 1's, younger than most Type 2's, sensitive to and still producing some insulin, and symptoms of both.

The Endo I later went to ordered a C-Peptide Test which showed I was still producing some of my own insulin (don't know the number), but obviously not enough.   She also ordered tests for GAD, Islet Cell and Thyroid antibodies, all of which came back negative.  When I asked her what that meant, she didn't know.  If an autoimmune response didn't cause my Diabetes, what did?  She said the ADA was coming up with new classifications these days and they just don't know all the causes of Diabetes.  She didn't think I was Type 2 though because I was sensitive to insulin rather than being resistant (I think that's key) and there was no family history. She didn't think the oral meds would work and neither did I.

There was another woman I met in my Diabetes Ed class who was also diagnosed in April and goes to the same Endo.  The doctors didn't know which type she was (she didn't have ketones) and conducted all kinds of tests.  They tried oral meds at first, but soon switched her to insulin.  She started her pump the same day I did.  I think the classification and label of either Type 1 or Type 2 is too simplistic and the real determining factor is whether or not you need insulin and how well you respond.  I've read that in France, they don't categorize Diabetics as Type 1 or 2, but rather as "Fats" or "Thins."