[IP] Re:pump training variations......was waiting so long to start??

In a message dated 11/6/02 2:10:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> It's amazing to hear the variation in levels of training people have
> received --
> everything from no training to overnight hospital admissions!

When I was pregnant with my third child (5 years ago), the endo I was seeing
at the time thought that I "might" benefit from pump therapy.  At the time I
was on Humalog, Regular, Lente and Ultralente insulins.......I was taking so
many shots a day that I felt like a human pin cushion (as if we don't
already) and still not having that great of control!  He told me that it
would involve a 3 day hospital stay. Anyway, in the end he decided that I was
doing well enough on MDI which frustrated me greatly.  I had heard great
things about pumping and REALLY wanted to go that route.  After the baby was
born......and he was perfect despite the less than perfect blood
sugars........I changed endos.  Not sure why I didn't do this BEFORE he was
born, except that he was the endo that my OB referred me to and....... I was
just overwhelmed with life in general.  So the new endo I started seeing
immediately threw the old insulin regimen out the window greatly simplifying
things.  On about my third visit to her I asked about getting a pump and she
said  "sounds like a great idea to me"  then sent me to her CDE to get the
ball rolling.  After deciding which pump I wanted (with no influence from
anyone), we filled out the paperwork and my MM508 was at my door within 2
weeks.  The CDE had me read the manual....play with the pump at home and then
come in for the training with her.  That lasted less than two hours if I
remember correctly.  She went over the programming and we inserted my first
set right there that day.....starting with Humalog.  After that, she was
available to me 24 hours a day by phone if needed her and she called me every
day to go over how things were going.  I even managed to make it thru my
first set change while battling a stomach bug with vomiting, diarrhea, the
works.....which seemed to amaze her.

So yes the level of training required from one endo to another varies GREATLY
even within a 15 mile radius :-)  The difference in a 3 day hospital stay and
a 2 hour training session seems huge to me though.......financially,
physically, emotionally, all the way around.  Who knows why they do things
the way they do?????