[IP] Re: Legalities-AGAIN!

On 11/5/02 2:21 PM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

> Is this even legal?  My insulin pump has a notice in it that says:
> Federal (USA) law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a
> physician."
> Unless these are doctors selling their insulin pumps on eBay, it would appear
> to me that they are breaking the law.  I would even question whether or not a
> doctor could legally auction it off, knowing nothing about the recipient or
> his or her health.
Sellers *I* have emailed *DO* ask question about who it is for. Maybe *I*
have been lucky in this regard.
> I'm surprised eBay permits the sale of insulin pumps on their site.  I know
> some other things that are illegal to sell they don't.
eBay does give their buyers and sellers credit for intelligence in that they
will accept no liability.
> Kristen Olgren
> dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

How 'bout the legality of letting people do WITHOUT insurance? Legality be
damned if the person is desperate, and most of us who HAVE a Dr.'s RX still
get told "No" by insurers.

When I bought MY Pump secondhand, I'd been fighting Medicaid for 3 years and
STILL they wouldn't listen to me or my Endo! *I* had an Rx, and sent a copy
of it to the seller along with a letter absolving the seller of
responsibility for my care once I got the device.

If I broke any law, so be it! If every door to legal measures is slammed in
your face you can get pretty tired of playing their games. I know I did.

Ironically, when I went for an upgrade 4 years later, Medicaid/CalOPTIMA
said yes 'Because you already have a pump'.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
Jenny Sutherland