[IP] Re: Starting IP on your own

Seven years ago I received my pump while my endo was on vacation so I did a
quick study of the book Pumping Insulin and decided to forge ahead on my own.
I am smart and I thought I knew all I needed to handle it plus I had a very
supportive husband who understands diabetes and technology. Well, it turned
out that my control during that period was the worst it had ever been. I kept
getting high readings time and time again that I did not understand. By the
time my endo returned, I was so frustrated that I put the pump away for five
years! Two years ago I tried it again successfully but this time I got a lot
of training. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to get back on it. It has so
many benefits and really is the gold standard of care for IDDM. So my advice
is to read all the materials but wait until you have someone who is helping
you work out all those rates and ratios! Best of luck.