[IP] RE:To The Leadership of MiniMED

>Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 20:23:47 -0700
>From: "Don Crooks" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] To The Leadership of MiniMED
>Just because your marketing materials advertise that this equipment is the
>size of a pager does not mean that it is as insignificant as a pager.  With
>PageNet, for example, I could have a replacement pager tomorrow.  With your
>product, I will not have a replacement until Tuesday.  If I was
>technical difficulties with my pager, I could call for support and
>have a technical person on the phone with me to help me out/ troubleshoot
>over the phone.  A pager costs $20 and is used by significantly more people
>than an insulin pump.  An insulin pump costs $5,000 and is in use by a very
>small percentage of the population.

Don & spouse,

You may want to consider sending a copy of this to the FDA (if you are in
the US).  I am under the impression that customer service is part of each
pump companies explanation for how they will support the use of this vital
medical equipment.  The threat of losing FDA certification will be more
effective than losing customers as many of the pump companies have
"locked-up" insurance and HMO providers to only push their particular

Good luck in finding a satisfying solution,