Re: [IP] New Insurance, New Pump (was Re: Minimed)

At 11/4/2002, 07:47 AM George Lovelace wrote:
 >Judi, the short answer is YES.   Insurance companies are not aware of what
 >the previous companies have covered, so as long as you get a Letter of
 >Medical Necessity from your doctor it will be covered.  I just got a new
 >Animas pump shortly after my H-trons went out of warranty, but I could have
 >gotten the pump even sooner.

I had the same experience. I started asking about a replacement pump about
3 months before my warranty expired on my old one. My insurance carrier had
changed. Within about 2 weeks, I had a new pump. It really surprised me...
but this insurance company was more concerned about my long-term health
than the short term dollars. That's rare and I hope my employer doesn't
change companies again.

By the way, even though I live in Oregon, we have a relatively small
insurance company called IHC (Intermountain Health Care),  because my
employer has its HQ in Utah.