Re: [IP] New Insurance, New Pump (was Re: Minimed)

On 11/4/02 9:34 AM, "Judi" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Does anyone have any knowledge of this:  if you change insurance
> companies, how willing is a new company to get a pumper a new pump if
> they already have a (sometimes) working supposed top of the line pump
> (paradigm)?  I am changing plans at years end and wonder if there's any
> change I could get another pump.  Since I've had so much trouble with
> MiniMed, I would like something more dependable.  Does it just depend on
> the insurance company itself?  I'm going into Aetna Open Choices PPO in
> Michigan from a great HMO, which I am really sorry to be leaving, but
> was given no choice by employer.

Judi, the short answer is YES.   Insurance companies are not aware of what
the previous companies have covered, so as long as you get a Letter of
Medical Necessity from your doctor it will be covered.  I just got a new
Animas pump shortly after my H-trons went out of warranty, but I could have
gotten the pump even sooner.  Btw, Aetna HMO is my new carrier and there was
NO problem in having a new pump covered.  Now if they will just put Novolog
on their Formulary.....    ;>)