No Subject

The kinking you describe is common to all infusion set cannulas of the
Tender/Sillouette variety.  I used them myself for 3+ years.  The kinking is
unpredictable.  Sometimes using a shallower or deeper angle of insertion helps,
sometimes it doesn't.  For the most part I didn't have any problems, but as we
all know, the time it would would be during the most inopportune times.  The
fact that you state you had no problems for 3 years means little, imo.  You
have a growing daughter, who as time goes on, is increasing muscle.  Muscle &
teflon cannulas don't mix very well.  The cannulas in the Tender/Sillouette
sets (made by Maersk for Disetronic, Minimed, Animas & Others) are especially
thin and are more predisposed too kinking than others that I have tried.  Since
late summer, i have been using Disetronic Ultraflex Infusion sets, and am much
happier.  The cannulas are stronger, and I have yet to have a site go bad on me
yet because of kinking or irritation.  Just because you had a few go bad in a
row on you does not mean the whole lot is bad....I had that happen to me more
than once while I was using the Tenders.....it was so bad the one day I went
through 3 of them...I just had to laugh at the irony.

In any case.....your anger is misplaced.

Sara was having a very tough time with this problem this summer. She had used
the same type of set for three years with no problem. Suddenly four or five in
a row would have the end bent at a 90 degree angle when removing. She tried
four different areas of her body, same results. I tried very hard to work with
Disetronic who kept insisting that it was a user problem. They kept passing me
to their CDE's who would relate the same stuff to me every time. I would tell
them we were doing everything right, but noooo. It seemed to not matter to them
that she had used the same type of set for three years without ever
encountering this problem. Finally after two months of talking to them and
doing everything their way I lost my red haired temper (blows very very rarely
but when it does no one is left standing and I take no prisoners) and I
insisted that they send new sets with a completely different lot number. I am
sure there are two individuals at Disetronic who remember the crazed lady
insisting that they change their tune and do it with a better attitude than I
had gotten so far. They did not want to do this, like it would break their
business. I can remember when we started with Disetronic and they were so nice.
We got new sets with a different lot number and presto chango no bent cannulas
from set one. Amazing. I must admit that I was duplicitous at the end. They
wanted me to send the unused sets back to them. Oh I agreed on the phone but
they never got them back. No way was I going to send those faulty cannulas back
so they could pass them onto some other unsuspecting pumper. As soon as the new
ones arrived and we used a few sets with no problems I threw the old ones in
the trash. When it comes to stable insulin delivery I think the suspicion of a
problem is enough evidence to suggest swift and decisive actions, like a trash
can. Needless to say when it came time to change pumps this summer we did not
go with Disetronic. Switched to Animas and so far the folks there have treated
me like a knowledgeable person when we talk. So remember that you are dealing
with manufactured products and things can go wrong in the production of the
items. Hope your problem is solved quicker than Sara's. She felt so bad this
summer so I know you are not exaggerating your frustration and anxiety. Michael
also had some advise about inserting perpendicular to the motion of the
underlying muscle. This may not apply to you since your set goes in at a 90
degree angle. Pam, mom to Sara