[IP] Re: Warranty =new pump?

>>>My issue isn't with replacing pumps that have shown to be unreliable due to repairs after the warranty period expires.   My issue is with people who think
that replacing a pump just because the warranty has expired is a fiscally responsible thing to do.<<<

I am probably not the best person to be answering this.  Big copays with my old insurance kept me from even considering an upgrade until now.  But now, with new insurance, I am wanting to replace my 5 year old pump.

My biggest nightmare in thinking about it is the possibility that my pump might develop a problem before I decide which pump to get.  Why?  Because then I might "have" to get my pump repaired.  With a recent repair, are they going to want to replace it right away?  Probably not.

I want to check out the new ones coming out on the market soon, like the Cozmo and the Nipro Amigo before I decide which one to go with.  (Of the ones presently available, I've decided on Animas, if I don't like those two.)  Should my pump die in the meantime, I would get stuck with MDI while negotiating with my insurance over whether I really need an insulin pump.  I would have to go through a process that may take weeks, getting approval on a new pump, while I get used to MDI again.

And MDI isn't exactly something I can do at the drop of a hat.  I haven't used long acting insulins in twelve years (started on the pump in 1990), and would honestly have no clue whatsoever what dosages I would need.  Going to injections for a few hours or days is one thing.  Then I can just use the Humalog or Regular while waiting.  But weeks on that kind of a regimen just isn't feasible.

So, why on earth should I wait and see if my 507 is going to croak on me before starting the process on ordering a new pump?  It doesn't make much sense to me, at all.

Incidentally, however, my previous pump was a Minimed 504, which I had for seven years.  It was replaced when my endo thought I needed a fifth basal rate in 24 hours, while my 504 could only do four.  Prior to that, I had tried to get approval from insurance to get a new pump, but had been refused, because the 504 was working just fine.  The same thing could well happen again.  I really hope it doesn't.

I've been fortunate to have pumps last well beyond their warranties, but I don't see anything at all wrong with replacing them once the warranty is up.  The alternative, a return to MDI while dealing with the insurance playing god in my life, simply does not appeal to me, at all.

Kristen Olgren
dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com:  Where singles click. Free to Search!