Re: [IP] New Pump Questions

Dear John,
         I'm all too familiar with your concerns but I've found the pump to be surprisingly unimposing. I've been on the MiniMed 508 since June of 2001 and 99% of the time, I don't know it's there. As a high school senior, I have more than a few chances for problems with the pump but they have all worked out without any serious discomfort. The pump doesn't get knocked or bumped when I'm walking in school (and that's pretty impressive considering there's about 200 people in a short hallway), I don't get asked too many questions about what I'm wearing because most peopel assume it's a pager or cell phone. As for sleeping, the pump hasn't given me any difficulties. I always wear shorts or flannel pants to bed and I just clip the pump to them. For the first few nights, it took a little getting used but now I fall right asleep and can sleep (or toss and turn 'cause I'm a restless sleeper some nights) without incident. I'm sure you'll get accustomed to the pump really quickly and !
it will be more than worth it! Good luck
-Brendan McGurk
diagnosed '91, pumping 6/01
 John Anderson <email @ redacted> wrote:Please make a donation during our FALL Pledge Drive.
Help out by showing your support for Insulin Pumpers

Hopefully, I'll be starting on a pump before the end of the year if I can
get insurance and everything else to work out. Getting ready to start I've
found I have a worry that I'm sure many of you had. That is, what will it
be like having this thing attached to me for the better part of eternity?
So my question is, how long did it take for some of you to adjust to wearing
the pump, and what were some of your experiences adjusting to the pump?

One other question, what do some of you do with the thing while you sleep?
I twist and turn and toss a lot and it seems like I'll wake up in the
morning either detached or all tangled up in tubing!!

I'd love to hear some stories on these two subjects. Thanks in advance!

John