Re: [IP] New Pump Questions

At 06:00 PM 11/3/02, John wrote:
>Hopefully, I'll be starting on a pump before the end of the year if I can
>get insurance and everything else to work out.  Getting ready to start I've
>found I have a worry that I'm sure many of you had.  That is, what will it
>be like having this thing attached to me for the better part of eternity?
>So my question is, how long did it take for some of you to adjust to wearing
>the pump, and what were some of your experiences adjusting to the pump?

After 2 1/2 years with my H-Tron Plus, I hardly know it's there anymore.  I
usually wear it clipped to the "fob" pocket of my jeans or on my belt.  I
have some nice leather cases that I got from Disetronic that work well
too.  I have to admit, that after 37 years of diabetes (when I went on the
pump), I was so ready to do something different, that I would have put up
with a lot to wear the pump.  So, it amazes me that I'm not even aware of
it most of the time.

>One other question, what do some of you do with the thing while you sleep?
>I twist and turn and toss a lot and it seems like I'll wake up in the
>morning either detached or all tangled up in tubing!!

I have thrown my pump in the bed, it always seems to follow me around.  The
other way I wear it (mostly to keep it out of hubby's way) is with the
cloth case that I got with it.  I can wear it like a necklace and it stays
out of the way pretty good for me.  And hubby doesn't end up with it on his
side of the bed.  ;o)  Some folks clip it to their pjs or boxers.  I'm sure
you'll find a way to wear it at night.

dx'd 1963
pumping 2000