[IP] Re: Misconceptions About Canadian Health Insurance

Hi Barbara et all!

>Comparisons are a complicated matter,
>of course, when you can introduce so many different criteria and variables.

Well, it depends on what study you read and what results the
statistical guys are told to come up with.  I spend many years
preparing statistical  data for hearings and I always managed to come
up wiht the results I was ordered to.  Comparisons are hard unless
one compares *single* criteria such as average waiting time for
specific procedures.

>GPs in Canada, can and do write prescriptions for anti-depressants.
>Psychiatrists are in short supply in Canada, except perhaps in some large
>cities ( I think Ottawa had many, cause I met quite a few in social
>situations).  Here in BC, there are lots and lots of walk-in clinics, where
>the GP working will write a script for an anti-depressant.

Unfortunately this is not the case in eastern Canada.  The big issue
I have is that docs usually refuse ot treat "normal" problems if one
is a diabetic.

>Darrin, when you need care--BUG THEM.  Phone often,

After decades of begging and pleading and with each new doctor
explaining what diabetes is and what a pump is and why I use a pump
and then showing them detailed stats to prove to them that I have
better control wiht the pump than on MDI; I am tired of re-justifying
myself to them.

It doesn't help that the CDA is still working against type I
diabetes.  Did anyone see the National Post supplement on diabetes
which ran on Friday?  They did not make a complete distinction
between type I and type II and once again repeated in the supplement
that "Diabetes is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle".  NO distinction.
Hence the medical profession will continue ot blame us for their low
wages and poor working conditions.

A note about ONtario:  I have never before seen so many "smiles" in
hospitals nor experienced "respect" from a medical professional as I
have here to date!  So far it is better there than in the east!  Now
ot continue fighting for apts.

I know I may sound bitter towards medical professionals.  After being
thru 7 or 8 endos and not yet finding one which will allow carb
counting nor condons pump use I am tired of the search - I do better
w/o their ignorance.

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for over a year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &