Re: [IP] mail from an IPer? Or a VIRUS????

At 08:28 PM 11/30/01 George wrote:
 >On 30 Nov 2001 at 19:20, Sam wrote:
 >> At 06:47 PM 11/30/01 email @ redacted wrote:
 >>  >I just received some mail.  It looked like it might have been from
 >> someone on
 >>  >the IP list in regards to my Charcot Foot question.  The only thing
with it
 >>  >was something that needed to be downloaded.  I did not open it since I
 >> didn't
 >>  >know who sent it to me.  If this is something you wanted to let me know,
 >>  >could you e-mail me again and tell me about it.
 >> That was a smart choice. Many members have become infected by opening
 >> attachments sent to them by friends who had previously become infected.
 >> Make sure that you never open up attachments, no matter who sent it to
 >> Also make sure that your email program does not ever run/open attachments
 >> automatically.
 >> Sam
 >That is very true, Sam.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has decided for everyone
 >that many email programs WILL run these scripts automatically and seem to do
 >their best at
 >defeating our attempts to protect ourselves.

True... I just recently read that just having the "preview window" open in
Outlook Express can auto-execute some of these viruses. If you run Outlook
Express, be sure to change your settings so that the "preview window" is
not open by default. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that program
here, so I can't provide the exact place where this can be changed.
Obviously an up-to-date virus scanner is a must, if you're on the Internet
and get email.