Re: [IP] Re: C-Peptide

In a message dated 11/30/01 5:33:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Would Lantus have any effect on the results of a C-Peptide test?  I know
 other insulin does not, but since Lantus is so new I was wondering if it
 might give a false high test.  Imogene >>

Naturally produced insulin is joining by a connecting peptide -- or
C-peptide. When the proinsulin breaks apart, the C-peptide is freed. That's
what is measured to see how much natural insulin you are producing.
Manufactured insulin (and insulin analogs, which is what Lantus is), does not
have the C-peptide molecule.

Jan and Elvis