[IP] IP:postmeal spikes

Hi Linda

I found out that if my bg is 140 at bedtime, it gradually goes down to
between 100-120  by 2 AM then begins to rise. So my basals have been
increased from .4 to 1 unit from 3 AM to 6 AM.  I now have enough insulin on
board to eat breakfast (with added fiber) and still be under 180 at 1-1/2
hour post meal..  However, because I work out for one hour after breakfast,
I then set my basal rate to 0  for 2 hours post workout if I want to avoid a
hypo later on.  I then return to my usual .4  basal rate

I don't know if it's worth all that work to stay within tight control all
the time, but I did it because I broke my leg last March.  I was determined
to heal perfectly after the surgery.  THAT was worth it!!!  I made sure I
ate lots of calcium rich foods, worked hard at physio and plan on continuing
my work outs forever.   The result was fantastic.  Today the orthopedist
took an Xray and told me that the leg is 100% healed.  Tight control did

I haven't tested my basals when fasting because | refuse to fast  at this
time.  I get dizzy when fasting - that's a bit age related as I just turned
62 last week-and so will wait a bit longer before I attempt this. I am a bit
weary from all the testing and need to get a life at this point!!  I plan to
relax a bit more this month.

Re your breakfast, do you add soluble fiber to whatever you eat?  That was
my doctor's recommendation and it really helps slow down the spike. Before
playing with your basal rates since they are good, why not try the fiber

Take care
Denise Guerin
Type 1 47 years
Minimed 507 3 years