Re: [IP] possible virus infected email

At 09:29 PM 11/29/01 email @ redacted wrote:
 >In a message dated 11/29/01 9:23:31 PM, email @ redacted writes:
 ><< Just a little note...it is possible that my computer may have sent out an
 >email that may be infected with a virus...please discard it. I don't want
 >anybody to be infected. Thanks! >>
 >Was it the one with the FUN.MP3.pif attachment? Too late, I opened the mail
 >and downloaded the file but couldn't open that. What should I do?

Yes, that definitely sounds like a virus laden file. Any attachment with 2
extensions at the end should be immediately suspect. Just merely having it
on your computer won't infect it... you have to open it. It's really a
program that, when it is run, will wreak it's havoc. If you don't run the
program you may be OK... delete it instead. Run a virus scanner to be sure.

There are 3 rules of safe computing:
         First rule... never open up attachments.
         Second rule...  is to obtain and have constantly running an
up-to-date anti-virus program.
         Third rule... re-read rules #1 and #2.

If you think that you've been infected, immediately scan your system with a
virus scanner. Remember that they all have constant virus definition
updates, often weekly. (As an example, mine was updated Tuesday). Unless
you update your virus definitions, scanning your system won't catch the
newer viruses.

You won't get a virus from Insulin Pumper's mail, since our system strips
out all attachments. Viruses will most likely come from other people who
have been infected.