Re: [IP] Pump shopping is definitely worse than car shopping

In a message dated 11/29/01 3:41:58 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< 1).  Just how soon you'd actually get you upgrade to a Paradigm (I don't
how they're prioritizing the list of people who want to upgrade)

2). Whether you like the idea that to get the Paradigm waterproof you can
ONLY use special infusion sets from Minimed  ( I like the fact that my
daughter's Animas pump is waterproof using anybody's infusion set with the
industry-standard leur lock connection),

3).  Does it matter to you that that the Paradigm is not proven in the field
yet.  Yes, it is from Minimed, who have been in the pump market for a long
time and have a large base of pumpers and it has, of course, be tested and
received FDA approval (or will have by the time it's released) -- but it is
new technology and while some folks like to be on the leading edge (early
adopters), I personally prefer a pump that has some real world track record
behind it . . .

I personally am bothered by the "scare tactics" used by some Minimed folks.
In our experience (when researching pump options almost a year ago), neither
the Diesetronic nor the Animas reps spent anytime "talking down" the
competition -- their focus was on explaining the benefits & features their
particular pump(s) had to offer.  In contrast, I had two different Minimed
people spend the majority of their time doing the exact opposite and failing
to address my concerns and questions about the 508 (especially the static
issue with zapping basals and/or freezing the pump for 8+ hours...
You mentioned:
MiniMed keeps hammering away at the safety issues and says the Animas pump
with a risk, although rare, of overdelivery.
This kind of innuendo really bothers me, but maybe it doesn't matter to you .
..  Personally, I'd be very interested as to how they documented this "risk
of overdelivery" to you re: the Animas pump and how they claimed to have
eliminated that risk in the Paradigm . . .  For that matter, did they tell
you about the (admittedly rare) instances of overdelivery with Minimed pumps
when the reservoir door opened allowing accident depression of the plunger
resulting in an over delivery >>

I'm told upgrades to the Paradigm will be in April or May. As for choice of
infusion sets, I don't know if this bothers me or not as I won't know what
infusion sets I desire until I'm pumping. It does bother me a little that the
Paradigm is not proven in the field yet. I have had a similar experience with
sales tactics. I am concerned about diversion tactics, i.e. mentioning safety
issues when I asked about waterproof/static issues. I basically didn't get my
questions answered, which is an answer unto itself. I am not bashing anyone,
just being frank about experiences. I notice some experiences are common, but
still think that sales reps also have individual styles. I actually really
like one of the MM reps I'm dealing with but she is new and two others I've
met I was rubbed the wrong way by for the reasons already mentioned. The
tactics do really bother me and from what I can tell all pumps have problems
sometimes. To mention a "rare" problem with a competing product to me
suggests lack of confidence in their own product. I don't mean to suggest
this is totally founded. Obviously many are satisfied with MM products and
they're the big guy with the 20-year history. It just begs the question why?
Animas should be under much more pressure being the newbie yet they exude
much more confidence and honesty in addressing questions and concerns. You'd
think it would be the other way around.