Re: [IP] Another Pump War...hope not.

Every one of us has chosen our pumps for reasons that satisfy US.  Our choice
of a pump is not up to any other person.  And most Insurance companies will
let you pick which pump you want (at least in this area).  If you are not
happy with the pump that you have chosen, you have no one to blame but

I personally have worn both the Disetronic and Minimed and must say that I
disagree with most statements that the 'anti-MM' people on this mailing list
say about MM. I don't see many posting from MM pumpers that are 'dogging' the
Disetronic or Animas pumps.  Hmmmmm . . .   why is MM usually the one being

My MM rep last year did not use 'scare tactics' to get me to choose his pump.
 As matter of fact, I called MM after researching their website and they gave
me the local reps phone number.  He called that afternoon and was at my house
less than an hour later with his own pump in hand.  During the 2 hours at my
home, he told me the pros and cons of the MM 508 and I still choose to go
with it.  In the 6 years of being on a Disetronic pump, the company never
called me once about anything.  Nor did any rep have contact with me after I
was trained 'just to check in' as my both my rep and trainer with MM did and
as I now do with my pump patients that I personally train.

When I see patients in the hospital and they ask about pumping (I tell them I
am Diabetic only if they give me the 'You don't understand' line), and tell
the features of pumping in general.  And NO...I don't think that the MM is
right for everyone.  I had a patient who is a merchant Marine on the Great
Lakes and soaking wet ALL the time.  He's now pumping, but not with a MM. The
waterproof feature was his main concern.  Good for him that he is pumping!

We all have our own personal experiences and those experiences do not mean
that we have picked a good or bad pump.  There are people who will never
consider a MM pump.  There are people who will never consider a Disetronic
pump.  And some will never consider an Animas pump.  Can't we all just agree
that (1) the choice of a pump is a very personal decision (2) that there are
3 pump companies in the US and all have obviously received FDA approval (3)
and not every pump is equal and right for every person?  Pumping is not right
for some people at all.

We are all different and look for different things in our personal care of
our disease. (And by the way, the MM pump doesn't have to be in the 'ugly'
leather case all the time.  There are many cases to choose from.)

I love my MM 508 and don't think that I will be upgrading to the Paradigm.
My 508 as all the feature that I feel I will ever need.  I wouldn't be
training patients for MM if I didn't think so.

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Minimed Certified Insulin Pump Trainer
IDDM X >20 Years, Pumping 1/4/1995
(First with Disetronic and now with MM since 11/00 and much happier!)
"Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting to happen." - - - Mary Tyler