[IP] Re: Dramatic difference with Novolog

Warren - I have been pumping for 2+ years and when winter set in I started
having trouble like you mentioned with having about 1 - 2 good days then it
was really bad.  Based on advise from people on this list and approval from
my doctor (who basically lets me try what I want since he doesn't know much
about the pump) I started mixing regular with the humalog.  This helped a
lot.  I think in my case the problem started when I turned up the heat in my
waterbed.  I think the humalog would get too warm and somehow the regular
would make it last longer.  I know others don't have this problem.

For various reasons I have not had the best readings so I decided to try
Novalog.  It's been a little over a month.  The first week was good, then I
had about 5 bad days (I think a virus) and then I've been back to good -
especially the 2 hrs after a meal are good.  I am making some minor changes
because I have been going too low but have been happy with the results.

I cannot believe that Minmed told you that some people can't use the pump.
When I called about my problem, they had also suggested mixing with regular
but said they could not tell me what ratio - that would have to come from my

I hope your son continues to have good readings but try not to get frustrated
if there are some unexplained highs or lows.  There are so many variables
(stress, different types of food, medicine, infections, etc.) and you can try
to look for patterns there aren't always obvious answers.

Type 1 - 28 years