[IP] Re: Re: post-meal spikes

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:13:54 -0500
> From: "Tammy Avelar" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: RE: [IP] Re: post-meal spikes
> Denise:
> I was having the same troubles, . If my sugars were consistantly high
> after a certain type of breakfast (sausages or a bagel...) I would extend
> insulin release to 1 hour on the square wave bolus. I usually take 3 to
> units at breakfast so I would take 1.8 immediately and the other 1.2 (or
> 1.6) with the square wave and set it for 1 hour> Tam

What is your highest bg two hours after a meal?
My endo wants my highest reading after a meal to stay under 200 so he has me
test at both 11/2 and two hours after I finish a meal to catch the highest
rise and that's where  the problem is.  I don't see how a dual wave would
help since I still wouldn't have enough insulin on board to prevent the high
unless I used more insulin which I don't really need since that makes me go
too low later.  I suspect that my age (I just turned 62 on the 24th) and
duration of diabetes (47 years) may affect how I  absorb food too.  Food
choices at this point of my life are focused on eating well, lots of
calcium, low fat etc  I can't pile on empty calories without impunity.
Haven't had a sausage in over 40 years!!

Denise Guerin
Type 1 47 years
Minimed 507 3 years