[IP] Random Holiday Thoughts and Thankfulness

On the day after Thanksgiving in the United States, I woke early (got to do
the shopping thing).  Here are some of the things that I'm thankful now:

The article this morning on research indicating there may be a way to
interrupt the autoimmune response and prevent destruction of beta cells by
three injections of a drug.  Just think-- a drug that could only stop Type 1
"in its tracks", could potentially have applications in all other autoimmune
disorders.  In the car on the way to the mall, I could only think "Is this
how diabetics felt when the first news of Banting and Best's research into
the function and production of insulin was published?"

My family, who didn't say a work during dinner about anything I chose to eat
or drink--although they exchanged glances about the pumpkin pie; and who
listened patiently to the "a carb is a carb is a carb" explanation.

My husband, who explained calmly to his mother and father that my two hour
post prandial check was needed, not because of anything "wrong", but simply
because the meal was one that I hadn't prepared--and therefore I didn't have
accurate carb counts and of necessity had "guessed"--and needed to confirm
the guess.

The wonderful man followed that up with telling everyone that the only gift
I needed for the holidays was a new pancreas.  Since that wasn't possible,
anything they choose was great.

The ability to get up early, go shopping when the stores opened today at
6:00 a.m., buy toys for the toy drive, check at 8:00  after walking around
stores for 2 hours, have a bg that was great, and to not need to eat until I
wanted to.