Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:46:41 -0500
 From: "Leann Marcucci" <email @ redacted>
 Subject: [IP] being realistic....???

 hi all,
 i'm going to apologize in advance because this is going to be a rant, but you guys are the only ones i can think of who would understand. i am SO not looking forward to the holidays. i mean, i have had dreams all
 week long about getting the implantable , closed loop pump ever since i read that email from here.:) i will be 32 in 2005 (the soonest it could go on the market) and i am not patient! lol!  here's how i feel.... i have been dx'd for one year now. last thanksgiving/xmas, i didn't go to any dinners , any parties, any anything because i knew i didn't want to have to face the food challenge in front of everyone. i also came down with meniere's (constant vertigo) so i had a socialy allowable excuse to stay away.

this year, i have turned down 6 thanksgiving dinner invitations. my husband of 6 1/2 years and i will happily eat dinner at home, then take our therapy
 dogs to the nursing home. sounds perfectly reasonable, right? everyone is wondering why i don't want to come to all of their parties. " well, it's been a year now. don't you know how to eat yet? when are you going to learn how to work that thing??!!" (meaning the pump) well, i have had 26 years of eating as much cheescake as i want! i have had 26 years of not even thinking
 about how many cups of green beans i eat at thanksgiving dinner! and i have had 1 year of EVERYONE asking me what my numbers are after eating. yes, i'm
 very happy they actually understand what i have to do, but the PRESSURE! if i'm over 150 i get the "LOOK". like i went high on purpose! I"M STILL LEARNING HOW TO EAT ! have any of you figured all this out in a year?? am i really that slow and dumb? does this pressure to get it all right ever go away?
 sorry for ranting.....
 thanks for reading...

Okay.  What needs doing?