Re: [IP] Reality

snip <However, my greatest concern remains the transition of having
attached to me all the time. So far, everyone kind of tosses this aside
says "You'll love it." I have a hard time believing it's that simple. I
understand this group is very pro pump and that's great. But there's got
be another side to this. I can't imagine going on the pump one day and
up the next morning just loving it. That doesn't sound realistic to me.
I would like to hear from any of you who had a hard time with this
and how you got through it. I know there's no way I can ward off fear and
difficulty completely, but I would like to be better prepared for what to
Thanks much.
dxed IDDM 9/92, hopefully pumping soon>

Deanna, I've been using a pump for almost six years now. It was a
challenging adjustment since I really didn't mind all the injections I
was taking. I just want to let you know that I understand your concerns.
At first I thought that I was going to be hooking my entire life up to a
machine. It seemed so much more invasive than just taking a bunch of
injections every day. The thing that helped me during the adjustment time
was knowing that at any time I could take the pump off and go back to
injecting insulin. After about a year of pumping, I did take a break from
the pump for a month or so and realized how much easier pumping really
was. I've been pretty happy with it since then (except for the occasional
frustration with finding comfortable ways to wear the pump with some of
my favorite clothes!) The great thing about the pump is having better
control and feeling much better/healthier.

Facing your fear often leads to discovering how strong you really are!