[IP] scales and exercise

> First, I do not really know how
> to count carbs if I am not eating something out of a package that
> has it listed on the label.

You can't really believe what is on the package without measuring the
individual portions. The carbs per unit weight/volume are usually
accurage, but the portion sizes themselves vary widely from item to
item. A good example is bread -- where the slice thickness may vary
from one day to the next depending on how the particular slicing
machine is set. Weighing the individual portions is a good idea and
will result in better carb estimates.

Purchase a couple of good carb books. One for fast foods and another
for "ingredients" that you cook with like flour, sugar, etc...

The older edition of Joy of Cooking is good for the latter as is
Exchanges for All Occasions. Can't recommend any specific fast food
guide, there are many good ones.

After a few months of practice, you'll be supprised how easy it is to
carb count just by "looking" at food.

> I have been reading something about a
> scale.

There are two types of scales that are easy to use. BOTH should be
purchased with both grams and oz. measures. The electronic ones you
put an empty plate or dish on the platform and push the ZERO button,
then add the food and the scale automatically shows the weight of the
item in grams or oz. as you choose. Many of the more expensive
electronic scales may be programmed to include the carb conversion
and will show the carbs directly when you select the food type --
this is overkill in my opinion, but many people like the feature.

The mechanical scales work in a similar fashion. The easiest to use
has a rotary dial face with a knob in the center. They are calibrated
in grams and oz. You set a dish on the platform and turn the knob to
set the pointer at zero, add food and read the weight of the food

Some foods such as pasta, rice, and liquids are more accurately
measured for carb content by volume. A 1 cup measure and a tablespoon
are usually the only items needed.

>The strange part is that exercise is now making
> my BS levels go up.  Today, for example, my BS was 120 pre exercise,
> then, after walking 3 1/2 miles in a lttle over an hour my BS was
> 185.  Yesterday morning it was 88 when I got up and 213 after
> walking.  These are typical results. Also, There does not appear to
> be a decreased need for insulin after exercise. My DE is convinced
> it is the kind of bread that I eat but this is ridiculous.

You are correct. Response to exercise varies between people and
depends on their condition, their blood insulin levels and a lot of
other things. When you exercise, it takes energy to move the muscles
which in turn takes insulin to convert the glucose into energy. In
absense of adequate glucose->energy conversion, the body responds by
asking for additional glucose. In a person with diabetes, this
response produces higher bg's if their is not adequate insulin
available to help the cell convert glucose to energy. Voila, high
bg's. There are two solutions. 1) have a small snack + insulin before
exercise to insure that there is a higher blood insulin level, or
simply bolus extra for the anticipated bg rise. Discuss this with
your doc, you might also ask your CDE if they have a consulting
exercise physiologist.