[IP] REAL Reality for Deanna

As I figured, all of the "pump nazis" on here responded to your post with
their wonderful experiences with the pump, and once again told  you how much
you would love it.  Well, I felt the same way you did when I was told that a
pump would be better for me.  I had NO intentions of being attached to
something like that 24-7.  I viewed it as the "last resort" for someone whose
diabetes was way out of control.  Then, after deciding that I wanted to be
able to feel my feet and see them too in 20 years, I changed my mind.

My experience in the pump transition has been like this.  Consider also that
I've only been pumping since October 9th of this year.  I didn't just wake up
and feel like a new man without a disease.  All my problems and
inconveniences didn't go away.  In fact, I've been testing more often than I
ever was with NPH and other injections.  The hardest thing to get used to was
sleeping with the pump.  I put mine under my pillow at night, and so far, I
haven't had any problems with it.  However, I am very aware of it being
attached at night and I do not move around in bed as much anymore.  I do not
have a lot of body fat, so I had some problems with infusion sites also.  I
can't roll over onto the side where my site is while I'm in bed, because I
feel the cannula poking into me.  Not painful, but annoying.  I'm still
getting used to grabbing the pump when I get out of bed to go to the
bathroom.  And it does take some getting used to when you're getting dressed.
 (I'm still refining my technique with this)  I've sat down on the passenger
side of a car a couple of times and yanked the clip off of my pump
accidentally.  And the last time I did a set change, it bled.  Not a little
drop, but a lot.  I've felt bruised after inserting the sets, itched under
the tape, bubbles in the tubing, blah, blah blah.......  And in general, my
blood sugar doesn't seem to be under control any better than it was on NPH
and Humalog.  I'm still riding that rollercoaster.

I don't mean to scare you or discourage you, by any means.  In all, I
appreciate not having to give myself injections every time I turn around and
worrying about what and when I eat.  It is much more convenient in that
respect.  But, unlike the majority of the people who respond on here, I have
a hard time simply overlooking the challenges.  I thought you might like to
know my REAL DEAL.

Matt in NC
(who, by the way, does NOT have a negative view on life -- sees ALL sides.)

I'm sure I've ruffled some more feathers with this one.  So, I'll be waiting
for the onslaught.