[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #562-Ann, moral support

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:33:05 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #562

Ann, I've taken parts of your message and made responses to these on behalf
of Hubby (geesh, was he mad about this), and myself.

"HELP!  I have asked before for moral support and always the responses are
great.... Well,that's when the nurse went crazy on us.  She believes that
children should suffer for at least one year with shots before a pump should
be started so
that when the pump difficulties occur they won't complain.  I went crazy
with this type of statement."

Tell that nurse to :go get syringes, sterile water, alcohol swabs, glucose
monitor, strips, etc., follow a "diabetic diet", test 6 times a day and take
4 injections of sterile water a day for a week then call you so you can tell
her she didn't really suffer, and if she thinks she did, then great because
it was good for her.  And yes, she needs to "log" everything, and should she
forget to follow her diet or test or take an injection then she can "panic"
and wonder where her glucose level is.

"She then did what I think is the unthinkable she contacted the traveling
Doctor and believe it or not he rescinded his order."

I'd call the medical board, the state nursing licensing board, then follow
up with written complaints.  Seems to me the nurse is practicing medicine
without a license, and the doctor isn't capable of practicing medicine in
the BEST interests of his patients.

  "I didn't get a call for anyone about the change in plans.   I called
Animas only to be told by them what had happened. I have written a letter to
the Doctor and faxed it to his home, called his office and also called his
home with no response."

Do it over with copies to the medical board, and maybe a newpaper or TV
station, too.

"I am obviously looking for another Doctor. I need help in finding a Doctor
preferably in the Seattle area.  I have family in Seattle and could easily
stay in that area for an extended period of time while getting my daughter
on the pump.  I need Doctor's names who are willing to start a newly dx
child on a pump and are committed to the pump."

Sorry, we live on the east coast.

"My daughter is home schooled and constantly monitored.  I am a
nurse and have researched the pump pros and cons."

Seems to me you're practicing the nursing profession daily with your

Keep us posted, OK?
Marj; Mike; and "Ace, the PP" (portable pancreas)