Re: [IP] money

At 03:17 AM 11/14/01 email @ redacted wrote:
 >In a message dated 11/14/01 1:10:02 AM Central Standard Time,
 >email @ redacted writes:
 >

 >> The Internet is not free and someone has to pay the bills somewhere. The
 >> servers that handle the mail, high speed Internet access to send the mail
 >> out, the high-capacity web servers that handle the webpage, office space,
 >> electricity, a phone... all that costs money. Most of all, there's
 >> Michael's time to run the site. He's only paid a nominal $100/week to
spend
 >> virtually full time working on this site. Everyone else who helps run this
 >> place are strictly volunteers and don't get paid a dime.
 >>

 >Yes, I know the internet is not free. I have a website. However, I am trying
 >to find out what else is done besides the internet stuff?
 >Beverly

That's it... there is no paid staff or perks. The costs are primarily for
equipment, and the Internet costs.  It's quite a bit different (and a whole
lot more expensive) to have what's called a "Merchant account" and a High
Capacity web server than to have a personal account with an ISP. An
ordinary DSL line is a whole lot cheaper than one that has a high output as
well as input. Michael has, from time to time, posted a list of his
expenses. Most months he has to take money out of his own pocket to pay for
things. Michael has a family to feed and does not have deep pockets. The
web site was down for a day or so just recently because, he could no longer
pay for the web hosting company we had.

Sam
(who volunteers 10-15 hours a week for free)