RE: [IP] money

Beverly [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Yes, I know the internet is not free. I have a website.

There are some distinctions that can be made here.  The Internet, in one
sense, *is* free - that is no one is specifically charged for use of the
backbone, etc.  Those costs are covered primarily by the United States and
other governments.  In the U. S. the funds are mostly provided by grants
from the Department of Defense and the National Science Foundation.

However, ISPs are neither charitable or altruistic (nor should they be), and
it is *they* who charge for their services, the hardware, software, etc.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR