Re: re[2]: [IP] Scuba diving

Lily is a SCUBA diver. I've written about her escapades a few times
in that regard. She was certified a year or so ago and took advanced
training this summer. She's been a free diver since she was 11 or 12
years old.
> Deanna,  I very much interested in this topic.  As a very active
> scuba diver my self.  I have only been on the pump for over 1-1/2
> months. A couple of the questions I had.
> 1.  While scuba diving do I need to be hooked up to the pump?

You can't be, the pressure would damage the pump, probably fill it
with water as well.

> the exercise of diving be enough where I can leave the pump behind?

Well, yes and no. The objective as I see it is to maintain bg's above
80 (shakey) - 100 and below 150 - 180. The reason is not so much the
control issue of having good bg's but to make sure that you do not
crash on the one hand or chill to rapidly on the other. High bg's
will cause you to chill even in tropical waters with a wet suit. Lily
tends to run high while diving, more so than can be accounted for by
simply missing the basal amount during the dive. If I reach back to
my instructor train (last century mind you) I recall being told that
in addition to the heat loss through your skin, a large part of the
energy drain while diving is cause by water being 700? time denser
than air and the diver must move through it constantly. In any event,
it takes a lot of calories to dive which in turn takes insulin to
metabolize. Lily has recently started to make a pretty hefty bolus
before hitting the water to keep her bg's in line and her comfort
level (chill factor) within acceptable limits. It is an on-going
experiment. I also suspect that the immediate chilling of the skin
when you dive inhibits the absorption of available insulin that is
already infused. We already know that jumping in the hot tub can
produce a quick low, I'm pretty sure that hitting the ocean in a wet
suit does the opposite. A dry suit may be altogether different, but I
have no experience with that.

> 2.  Infusion Site(Quik-Set)  Has the quik-set been tested down to
> 130 ' of water.  Will the salt water penetrate through the quik-set?

No, the pressure is equal on both ends :-)

>  Should the infusion site(quik-set) be removed before diving?

No reason to that I can think of..... Lily just hooks up when she
gets back to the boat (or beach) and usually is ready for something
to eat anyway.
> >From my experience of diving I would think that you that you would not
> need any basal rate during the dive.  !'st I would do a BS test. I
> would probably take .5 units before getting ready because I would
> disconnect 15 min. prior to getting ready to dive.  Any signs of
> sugar getting Low or High abort the dive.  But, Don't for t the
> safety stop!!  Get out of water take off gear and do another BS.

Make sure you and all buddies (more than one please) have tubes of
glucose gel. This is easy to use underwater as long as you don't have
a severe hypo.
> I some of my dive magazines of I have seen groups doing some studies
> on diabetics scuba diving.

Thats DANI -- the study is being done on MDI folks. Personally I
think they are nuts. I can't imagine diving with a load of NPH on
board. There is a significant difference when only short acting
insulin is available.