Re: [IP] snacks at school

In a message dated 11/12/01 10:36:15 AM Central Standard Time, email @ redacted

> I recently had the opportunity to advise a teacher on what to offer a
> recently diagnosed 10 yr old girl instead of the "usual" sugary treats.
> I told her that some barretts or inexpensive jewelry from a
> "teeny-bopper" store might be good. Up until this point another teacher
> had been giving her pencils. Not what I would have been happy with at
> that age! Was this an appropriate recommendation? I have no children of
> my own or elsewhere in my immediate family. So, some input would be
> appreciated. How about something for boys too - in case it comes up...
> thanks in advance

I have done everything from sugar-free candy to little prizes, like you
mentioned, in the last four plus years  but Mary prefers to be given what
everyone else gets and then working it into her schedule...this way she is
not seen as *different* although that has never been a big problem with
her.....I wish, truthfully, that they would get away from sugary treats for
all the kids period. I feed my children well and what treats they are allowed
I would like to give them.....there I go, daydreaming again.....
Beverly, Mom to Mary, 8, dx'd 9/97, and Nick, who is now nine!