Re: [IP] basal of 0.0 - - Yes you can.

You can indeed set your pump to a basal rate of 0.0.  The pumps are set at
this basal rate when they are packaged and waiting to be shipped.  Remember
when you first got the pump, and it was 'on' but not 'clicking' at all . . .
that was a basal rate of 0.0.  I see no reason why this can't be done for a
few hours in the middle of the night.

If I train a patient before we have their basal rates, we set a basal of 0.0
. . . and sometimes this is for a day or two.  They still take their
longacting, but bolus for carbs and corrections with the pump.  We have never
had any problems.

That's the joy of being able to have 48 different basal rates . . . not
having to wake up and set temporary basal rates during the middle of the

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Minimed Certified Insulin Pump Trainer
IDDM X >19 Years, Pumping 1/4/1995
(First with Disetronic and now with MM since 11/00 and much happier!)
"Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting to happen." - - - Mary Tyler