Re: [IP] Same Day Surgeries and the pump

In a message dated 11/8/01 3:46:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> From: "Francisco, Donna S (OKCCLA)" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Same Day Surgeries and the pump
> Can anyone give me any insight on surgeries (done in the OR) and the pump.
> Can the pump stay attached?  Does the pump come off with insulin started as
> a drip through the IV? Or what?
> Any previous experiences would be appreciated

The experience may vary with different hospitals.
I had 2 different same day type surgeries last summer, one planned, one not.
I made sure I talked to the anesthesiologist before the surgery and my
does have a written pump protocol.
I wore more pump thru surgery, told the anesthesiologist how it worked, no
I ran it at 70% just to make sure i didn't go low and had good bg's all thru
the surgery.  A lot of people run high during surgery, i did not and would
have been low if i'd run 100%.
Talk to your dr's and your hospital before the surgery!

mommie to the mighty Zman