[IP] insulin and weight clarification

I wrote about IGT and diabetes so one could share this information with
persons at risk for type.  Most people with diabetes get asked questions and
have opportunities to educate people.  The Diabetes Prevention Program, a
research program under NIH, announced their  study results on August 8, 2001.
Diet and Exercise Dramatically Delay Type 2 Diabetes. Over 3000 persons with
IGT and overweight (average BMI 34) were in the study. The group that
developed the least were those who lost 7% of their weight and did 150
minutes of exercise/week, mainly walking. Weight and exercise are modifiable
risks for type 2: you cant modify your family tree.
My sentence structure was awkward, I meant most folks with type 2 diabetes
are overweight( approx. 80%), not most folks with IGT are overweight.
Generally speaking, when folks are first diagnosed with diabetes and insulin
by injection is prescribed, it is done by type of diabetes and weight.
Generally speaking, type 1 starts with 0.5 -0.6 units per kg. of weight, and
type 2  0.3 units per kg. Then BG checks determine adjustments and changes.
Then there are the variables that affect doses needed, to include calories
consumed, exercise,intercurrent illness, other meds,%body fat and body muscle.
Insulin is needed for the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
Generally speaking, the fatter you are, the more insulin you need.  Studies
of insulin response during Glucose Tolerance Test show that obese
nondiabetics make the most insulin compared to obese diabetics,thin
nondiabetic, and thin diabetics.  Why?  To keep all that fat stored. The
pancreas is working overtime and may get burned out.
I never stated nor implied that weight loss would normalize diabetes, as
normalize is a word I never use in my education. Nor did I say insulin dose
should match your weight.Two persons of same weight and height and making
same amt. of insulin would have different insulin requirements, based on food
intake, couch potato,etc. Insulin resistance is a term used for type 2, the
body is unable to use the insulin it makes due to defects at receptor sites
on target cells.  Elevated fasting blood sugars indicate ins. resistance.
Type 1 will find insulin doses change.  In my experience with type 1,
(barring illness, new meds) usually more insulin needed is due to wt. gain,
activity decrease.,major stress. Muscle burns more calories than fat. I used
a variety of resources for my research on this topic. I suggest when email
respondents refute info based on their personal experience, they add what
type diabetes they have.