Re: [IP] Type 2 Question

In a message dated 11/4/01 10:58:28 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Several months ago my mom had blood work done and her fasting glucose
 was 130. At that point her pcp told her they'd try to lower it by
 diet/exercise. At last week's office visit her fasting glucose level was 128
 so her doc put her on Glucophage.
 Mom said she doesn't have diabetes yet; her doctor is just using the meds to
 bring her glucose levels down.
 Even though I'm quite well-versed with type 1 and pumping because of my
 daughter, my knowledge of type 2 is extremely limited. My impression was
 any fasting glucose level of 126 or above was considered diabetes.
 Since my mom also suffers from Hashimoto's, high blood pressure, angina, and
 high cholesterol I'm concerned about her present situation.

According to American Diabetes Association guidelines, which say that more
than one fasting BG level over 125 is full-blown, full-fledged, diabetes,
yes, she does appear to have diabetes.

With the high blood pressure and elevated lipids, she also appears to have
Syndrome X. Here's a good link to read more about that.

People with type 2 diabetes are *extremely* vulnerable to cardiovascular
problems -- to the extent that they like us to keep our BP land lipid levels
ower than what is considered to be OK for people without diabetes. We are, in
fact, considered to be at the same risk for a "cardiovascular event" (heart
attack and stroke) and somebody without diabetes who already has experienced
a cardiovascular event.

There is some belief (as I recall) that high levels of insulin circulating in
the bloodstream -- which would occur if you are insulin-resistant --
contributes to cardiovascular problems.

At least her doctor is bright enough to have her on a medication that has an
effect on increasing insulin sensitivity.

Tell your mom to wake up and smell the coffee. :-)

Jan and Elvis
(type 2)