Re: [IP] Low Blood sugars

One very important thing that I have learned in my ONE month of pump therapy
is that it is NOT a miracle cure.  I was lead to believe, and hoped myself,
that the pump was going to make everything great.  Don't get me wrong, there
are lots of benefits to the pump. (eat when you want, insert infusion set
once every 3 days rather than injecting every time you turn around, etc.)
BUT, to be perfectly honest, so far, I think that my blood sugar stayed in
better control when I was only taking big doses of NPH.

A lot of your bg control has to do with how well you estimate the amount of
carbohydrates in the food you eat.  For instance, if I guess that my
Bojangle's french fries (love 'em) are about 45g of Carb, and I bolus 3
units, but they are actually 65g, then I'm going to be high when I check
after the meal.  (Or, while I'm on the subject, mom's scratch-made triple
layer chocolate mocha cake which she made for my birthday.  Never did get
that one right, but enjoyed experimenting with dual waves.)  So far, I have
not had the problem with extreme lows since the pump (only got down to 56 the
other day) and again, I probably estimated wrong in the other direction.  You
definitely have to know what you are doing, because there is only so much
that the pump does for you.

Best of luck to ya.
Matt in NC
MM 508 10/9/01