[IP] Dr. Bode on the Future

Dear friends --

One of the presentations I went to yesterday was on type 1 diabetes by Dr.
Bruce Bode.  Dr. Bode has the largest practice in Atlanta devoted to the
healthcare of diabetics, and is one of the strongest proponents of CSII in the
US.  His practice also has over thirty clinical studies in progress, and is
extremely prolific in this field.

One interesting comment he made is the prediction that US clinical trials for
both open and closed loop implanted pumps will be underway by mid-2003 and
possibly much sooner.  One of the driving forces of this is the acquisition of
MiniMed by Medtronic, Medtronic being the world's largest producer of
implantation devices, sensors, etc. (i.e. pace makers, etc.).  They're putting
*BIG* money into pump/sensor R&D.  Basically, he thinks an "artificial
pancreas" will be generally available by the end of 2004 or mid 2005 at the

On this last, he presented some of the data from closed loop systems being
studied in France.  The nutshell observation is that diabetics who previously
had difficulty controlling even with a pump had *normal*, that is non-diabetic
BG levels regardless of diet, exercise, etc. . . highs never went above 140
post prandial, and lows never below 70 fasting.  The sensor, BTW, is inserted
in an outpatient procedure into a vein and treaded up to rest in the superior
vena cava near the heart, that being the most consistent blood flow.  It's
anticipated that the sensor would have to be replaced every 18 months.

Jim Handsfield