[IP] For those who are discouraged or depressed

Go to the American Diabetes Assoc. website;www.diabetes.org. Look at the
following books: Diabetes Burnout: What to do When You Can't Take it Anymore;
Reflections on Diabetes; and When Diabetes Hits Home: the Whole Family's
Guide to Emotional Health.  The last one can be read on line.  Also, 30% of
persons with diabetes are profoundly depressed. There may be physiological
reasons for this. I am a CDE and I feel the medical profession does not
explore this area with patients.  There are new medications and therapies.
Get some professional help.  My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 25
years, she is depressed and this is a barrier to self care. She had
difficulty caring for self and 3 children (single mom),everything was a
chore,even making an appt. for therapy. She has now made arrangements for
therapy.  Priscilla Schell,RN,CDE