Re: [IP] Well it only took 2 years

> >I guess the moral to the story is that all's well that ends well.
> >YOU MUST STICK TO YOUR GUNS when dealing with these
> >insurance companies. In this case, the contract of insurance AND
> >state law say that diabetes supplies are covered and will be payed
> >for. It sure is a pain to have to wait almost 2 years to have it
> >happen though.
> >
> >Michael
> >email @ redacted
> Michael, I'm heading into my own battle with BC/BS of Michigan, now.
>  Originally they paid for my 300 test strips per month, but in the
> last month they said no, only 200 are approved.  I've gotten a
> prescription and letter of medical necessity from my endo which
> specifically says "300 test strips per month for testing 10x per day
> for IDDM with an insulin pump."  Now, since Michigan has passed the
> law that says they must pay for diabetes supplies, when they reject
> it, I will file an appeal then send the whole mess to my State
> Senator (who was one of the author's of the law, and I have been in
> contact with, I happen to know her personally) and our State
> Insurance Commissioner.  I figure since the law is so new in
> Michigan, the insurance companies are trying to see how much they
> can get away with.  My sister just called me to tell me her
> insurance company is telling her she can only have 150 strips per
> month.  So, we're both going to fight.  I just hope it doesn't take
> us 2 years to win. :o)

Yep, you're right, they do their best to keep from paying. The rest
of the LILY story that follow the one I just posted is that her
prescription for strips written just recently was also denied as
"above what is allowed". The contract of insurance and state law both
say that <quote>all</quote> supplies authorized by a physician.....
It took 6 weeks to finally get that straightened out but did not
escalate beyond the supervisor level. As you know, most of the
insurance companies use 3rd party mail order pharm cos. and each kept
pointing the finger at the other. I simply bored in on BS since that
is who my contract of insurance is with.