Re: [IP] Hello does anyone ever read my posts????

Sorry it's taken so long for this reply.  I have only been an IDDM for 8 1/2
years, so I don't have the longevity in this disease like you do, but I do
know this - it is a disease that affects us emotionally AND physically.  I
am 31 yo and have a 6 year old daughter and an 8 1/2 mo. old son (neither
are diabetic).  I can't imagine what it is like for you being a diabetic
yourself and having a daughter who is one, too.  As a parent, I know you
want your daughter to see the dangers that lie ahead for her if she doesn't
get a handle on this disease early on.  As a child, they only see things in
the here and now and don't consider the consequences of their lack of
diligence with this disease.  You said you have been an IDDM since 15 mos.
old, so you don't know anything else and over the years have learned to live
with the disease.  In your posting you said you test 8x a day and are having
trouble with control.  Personally, I know stress and hormones have
EVERYTHING to do with our blood sugars.  Some people's BG's run high when
they are stressed or emotional (happy or sad).  Mine on the other hand, drop
when I am stressed, nervous, and extremely happy.  My Dr.'s say that is not
the "norm".   You can take or leave this advice, I am not a physician, nurse
or CDE, but I would take care of myself first and foremost.  If you are
having wide ranges of BG's, you are not at your best (I know I'm not and
I've read that wide ranges of BG's can cause depression) and trying to help
your daughter makes it that much harder to control.  Get yourself whatever
help it is you need (along with help from pumpers), whether it is talking to
a doctor, nurse, counselor, whatever.  I have personally been taking Zoloft
since my son was 2 weeks old for anxiety and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY!  I
am not saying you need medication, just letting you know that some of us
have other things that go along with this disease.  I think leading by
example for your daughter is a strong message.  Showing your daughter how
healthy and happy you can be as a diabetic by taking care of yourself will
help her.  A friend of mine who was dx'd at age 6 went through a rebellious
period with her diabetes during her teen years.  I know it would be tough as
a kid to have this disease and see everyone else not having to think about
life like we do as a diabetic.  All those finger sticks, high's, low's, carb
counting, how fun is that?  Isn't there a website for "children" insulin
pumpers that she could log onto?  Or does she not want to talk about it at
all?  Maybe if she read from other teens on a posting board like this one,
it would make her see she is not alone.

You said that the military insurance doesn't cover more Diabetes Education.
I have that same issue.  I went to my new Endo. on Wed. and he wants me to
go for a refresher and my insurance only covers education for initial
diagnosis.  We had to fight them for education when I got my pump.  (BTW,
it's a PPO).  My Dr. said he would write a letter to the ins. co. requesting
more education, because a trip to the ER costs more than the education.
Don't give up.  If you get your physician behind you, they can sometimes
work miracles.  BTW, my last hgA1C was 5.2 (with tooooooo many lows to
count), and a previous hgA1C of 4.8 at the end of my 3rd trimester.  So, no
matter where we stand in the hgA1C range, there are issues.

Denise, take it one day at a time.  You are doing the best you can!!!

Jenie Harrison
DX 7/93, pumper since 8/99