> I really hate this and am very discouraged. Now what to do
> basals. Will definitely have to inject, don't want to use NPH. Can
> anybody give me some ideas as how to do this. Also, can I inject
> thru the infustion set? (its a Quikset) and we are new using this
> set. HELP! Her bs this morning was 377!
Hi Yvonne,

Don't despair, it's not to hard to continue without the pump. Please
double check with your doc before proceeding. I will tell you what we
have done under similar circumstances but you should certainly check
with your medical team.

Lily had a pump die at the beginning of a 3 day weekend. For the
three days she injected regular insulin into her infusion set every
4-5 hours to cover basals -- the same amount as would be used for
that time period. This works out pretty well if a basal injection is
done at bedtime then once during the night. In the morning the next
was due and her bg's were fine, actually better than the few days
before her pump broke. Meal boluses can be done in the same fashion
using fast acting insulin into the set.

One caveat .... it may be easier to use two sets than to deal with
the problem of the insulin remaining in the set from the injection
point to where it enters the body. Regular peaks in 4 hours, Humalog
in 2. A sofset has a residual volume of 2.5 units from the QR
Silohuettes 0.75 units, other sets ????

You must either account for the residual insulin that is pushed in
and its action time when you inject insulin that is not the same as
the previous type, use a different set, or do a regular injection to
avoid the problem.