RE: [IP] first day of pump training

RoseLea [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> They can't assume anything when it comes to
> health care (and
> I wouldn't want them to).

Agreed.  That's why they should take the time to get to know the patient
before taking a one approach for everyone stance and not assume *anything*.

> I do know that there are patients
> in my endo's
> office who have tried pumps and then went off of them because
> they didn't
> want to do the extra work they needed to do to stay on the
> pump.

I don't recall anyone saying that CSII is appropriate for everyone.  I
certainly didn't.

But for someone who *is* motivated, as evidenced by their willingness to
test often, learn how to count carbohydrates, etc. (particularly on their
own by reading Pumping Insulin and doing other research), there should be
some ability to tailor training needs.  I'm sure you've checked out the MM
web site which has some information about how to decide *IF* CSII is
appropriate for a patient (I suspect there are similar places at both
Disetronic and Animas).  This should all be done *BEFORE* a pump is
prescribed and ordered.  Training time is not the time to find out if CSII
is appropriate or not.

Repeating myself, I think it boils down to physicians, CDEs, and other
healthcare professional taking the time to know their patients so that they
*know* the capabilities of their patients.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR